Winter Storm Damage Preparedness in Old Saybrook
Winter storms can cause just as much damage to your home as a summer storm. Snow storms can bring freezing temperatures, feet of snow and ice, and high winds. Power can go out and roads may become hazardous. Preparing for a storm is the best way to keep your family and home safe!
Winter Storm Preparations
- Weatherproof / Winterize your home.
- Add extra insulation in your attic, insulate doors & windows, and insulate any water lines along exterior walls so they are less likely to freeze.
- This will help prevent ice dams from forming as well.
- Keep as much heat as possible in your home during a storm.
- Avoid unnecessary opening of doors or windows, close off unneeded rooms, and close curtains on windows at night.
- You don't want your pipes to freeze and burst!
- Organize a back-up heating source if the power goes out.
- Gas or log fireplaces, portable heaters.
- Make sure you have flashlights and batteries handy.
- Using flashlights is a safer option than using candles all around your home.
- Leave all water taps slightly on so they drip continuously.
- This helps prevent frozen pipes or burst pipes.
Call SERVPRO of Old Saybrook if your home sustains any storm damage this winter.
We are available 24/7 for emergency services, and work with your insurance company - so you don't have to!