Defensive Cleaning & Sanitizing Services in Old Saybrook
Our defensive cleaning program gives your business a way forward by providing your employees and customers ongoing safety and assuredness.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned – A Defensive Cleaning Program
Let us help you get back to business.
As our communities re-open, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded with our unique 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
- Consult – Every business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high frequency touchpoints, foot traffic and congestion points.
- Clean – Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning of porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting of non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting of equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
- Certify - Once your business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a FREE Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Call SERVPRO of Old Saybrook today at 860-388-1776 for your FREE Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned consultation.
* #1 Choice in cleanup & restoration based Commercial Attitude & Usage Tracking study. Polling 816 commercial business decision makers on first choice for future needs related to cleanup & restoration work. Study conducted by C&R Research: October 2019
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned means professionally trained SERVPRO franchises perform the requested cleaning, sanitizing and disinfection services according to proprietary SERVPRO protocols and recognized industry and CDC standards with EPA approved cleaning products to deliver a SERVPRO certified cleaning experience. Each SERVPRO franchise is independently owned and operated.
Old Saybrook Cleaning Experts
We're ready to respond 24/7!
SERVPRO is Here to Help during this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning - 800-734-3213
If your home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the specialists at SERVPRO of Old Saybrook today!
Flooded Basement? Here's What You Should Do
Removing all this water from a flooded basement in Old Saybrook took less than three hours with our equipment!
Walking down your stairs to find that your basement flooded is not a good feeling, to say the least. Water in your basement may damage family heirlooms, electronics, washing machines, carpets and more, leaving any homeowner overwhelmed and unsure of where to start. But don’t worry - we’ll walk you through all the steps of a flooded basement cleanup here!
What To Do When Your Basement Floods
- Don’t immediately enter a flooded crawlspace or basement! Be sure that it’s safe to enter first. If there’s a good amount of standing water, you should turn off your electricity and gas. If you’re unsure about how to turn off your power or the circuit breaker is in the basement, you can call an electrician for help.
- Get rain boots and other protective gear to wear. You shouldn’t be wading through flood water in your sandals because depending on the source, the water could be dirty or contaminated and make you sick. If the water is high enough, you may consider chest waders as well. But if your basement is this flooded, we would recommend calling a professional water damage restoration company like SERVPRO of Old Saybrook to take care of the situation properly.
- Find the source of the water. This will help decide your next steps. If the flood water is due to heavy rains, you should wait until the storm ends and water stops flowing into your basement. If the water is from a source such as a burst pipe, hot water heater, sewer backup, or any other faulty appliances or pipes, turn off your water immediately and begin our next steps!
- If you have them, check if your sump pump or the drain on your basement floor is working. Both of these things can help drain standing water in your basement, but it is also possible they’re the source of your flooding. Double check if they’re clogged or broken, and do your best to get them to work!
- Begin removing water and water extraction. For small floods or puddles of water, you can use a wet dry vacuum or towels, mop and a bucket. If there’s a few inches or more of standing water, we recommend calling a flood removal company, like SERVPRO of Old Saybrook. Our advanced equipment will be able to quickly extract and remove all water from your basement - something which is highly important to prevent the growth of mold and mildew.
- Dry out your basement as well as possible. Remove any wet or water damaged belongings so that they can dry. Then, set up fans and dehumidifiers to dry out and remove all moisture from your basement. If there was a lot of standing water for an extended amount of time, your household fans and dehumidifiers may not do the trick. If you need help drying out your flooded basement, call SERVPRO of Old Saybrook. Our advanced equipment and moisture meters allow us to completely dry out your basement - and scientifically prove it!
- Start cleaning and sanitizing. You should make sure that all basement walls and floors have been properly cleaned and sanitized. The flood water may have left behind dirt, gunk, or much worse depending on the source of the water. This step will also help to prevent the growth of mold or mildew, as well as any unwanted odors.
- Fix what flooded your basement in the first place. You want to take preventative measures so that you don’t end up with standing water in your basement again! If your home is naturally prone to flooding, take steps to redirect water away from basement walls and runoff further away from your home. If you don’t already have a sump pump or floor drain, consider installing them. It may also be a good idea to put appliances like washers, dryers, water heaters, and even furnaces on blocks so that if your basement floods again, they will be less likely to get submerged in water.
What Causes A Flooded Basement?
There’s many different reasons for flooded or wet basements, but here’s a few:
- Insufficient drainage around basement walls
- Heavy rains
- Failing sump pump
- Clogged or backed-up floor drains
- Groundwater coming through cracks in the foundation
- Burst pipes or appliances with broken water lines
Luckily, there are solutions to many of these problems, such as fixing broken pipes or appliances, changing where water runs off from your home, or waterproofing your basement.
Do You Need A Professional To Help With Flooded Basement Cleanup?
You may not always need a professional to remove water and dry out your basement. But, if the water is past your ankles, we would strongly recommend calling a professional flooded basement cleanup company like SERVPRO of Old Saybrook.
As water damage restoration specialists, we have all the resources and expertise necessary to rapidly remove all water from your basement, dry it out, sanitize, and restore any damaged areas. Immediate cleanup and response is essential when it comes to flooding and water damage to help prevent mold growth, odors, and structural decay. Check out the Water Damage Timeline for more information.
SERVPRO of Old Saybrook provides all customers:
- 24/7/365 Rapid emergency service
- Free evaluations
- Free estimates
- Direct insurance billing & guidance through the insurance process.
Have Questions or Need Help? Call SERVPRO of Old Saybrook Today! 800-734-3213
Burst Pipe Cleanup Tips For Old Saybrook Homeowners
Two pipes burst in this attic causing water damage to ceilings, hardwood floors, and carpets all the way down to their basement!
You come home from a long day at work ready to relax and watch TV… Until you realize a pipe burst while you were gone and flooded your basement! A water damage event can be an overwhelming nightmare for any homeowner. How will you get rid of water that goes past your ankles? Will insurance cover the damages? Who can help you clean and repair your home? Don’t worry – we’ll answer all those questions right here!
8 Steps To Take When A Pipe Bursts:
- Turn off your water supply! It may be obvious, but this will prevent your home from flooding even further.
- If electrical appliances are in standing water – turn off the power. Safety first!
- Contact a plumber. They can repair the pipe that burst and diagnose any other problem areas.
- Remove any wet furniture, carpets or personal belongings from rooms affected. Hopefully many of your belongings will be salvageable, but if not, SERVPRO of Old Saybrook offers contents restoration services.
- Begin to remove standing water as fast as possible. Time is of the essence when it comes to flooding and water damage! Use towels or mops to absorb as much water as possible. If there is a considerable amount of standing water, you may need to buy a wet-dry shop vac or contact a company to extract the water for you.
- Dry out the area affected. Bring fans into the room and turn them on their highest settings. Set up dehumidifiers in the dampest areas to help in removing moisture from the room. If there was a significant amount of standing water or the room was flooded for a long time, household fans and dehumidifiers might not completely dry the room.
- If water has absorbed in to the subfloor, carpets, drywalls, etc., call a professional water damage restoration company like SERVPRO of Old Saybrook. Water damage restoration companies use moisture readers and professional grade drying equipment to ensure your home has been properly dried. This equipment allows us to tackle water damage down to a science, and show to you that we have done our job properly.
- If needed, restore and rebuild the water damaged area. Drywall may need to be repaired or repainted, new floors may need to be installed, or the area may need to be deeply cleaned and sanitized.
Why Should I Be Sure To Properly Dry Water Damaged Areas?
If you don’t take the correct steps to dry out your home, multiple issues may arise over time. Check out our water damage timeline for more detailed information.
- Paint may begin to bubble or blister.
- Wood floor can swell, warp, or start to come up.
- Mold and mildew can spread around your home in as little as 48 hours after untreated water damage.
- Major unmitigated water damage can cause serious structural safety issues over time.
- Waiting to address water damage will result in higher restoration and reconstruction costs.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Burst Pipes?
Good news - Most of the time the damage resulting from a burst pipe will be covered by your insurance. This is because burst pipes are a sudden and unforeseen loss.
However, you may have to show the insurance company that the damage in your home came from the burst pipe and was not there beforehand, and that you weren’t responsible for the pipe bursting in the first place.
You may be thinking – how could a burst pipe be my fault? I didn’t slice it open! Well – if you neglected to repair clearly old or corroded pipes in your home, insurance may deny your claim as it was a foreseen issue that could have been repaired.
If you’re unsure about your coverage, SERVPRO of Old Saybrook can help guide you through the insurance claims process. Our First Responders can meet with you onsite, inspect damages, review your policy, tell you if your loss should be covered, and the best method of filing your claim to ensure it isn’t denied.
Have Questions or Need Help? Call SERVPRO of Old Saybrook For Burst Pipe Cleanup & Repair 800-734-3213
We are highly trained water removal and cleanup specialists and are ready to service your Old Saybrook area home when flooding or water leaks cause water damage.
SERVPRO of Old Saybrook provides:
Don’t wait for water damage to get worse. Call 800-734-3213 to speak with our on-call technicians now!
Commercial Floor Cleaning In Old Saybrook
We think our work speaks for itself.
Let's be real. Offices and businesses don't have time to deep clean every inch of their buildings all the time. And sometimes that means that dirt, grime, and dust can build up under cabinets or rugs, in air vents, ceiling beams, and ceiling tiles. When you need a cleaning that goes further than the abilities of your regular janitorial staff or cleaners, SERVPRO of Old Saybrook can help.
Our Residential and Commercial Cleaning Services Include:
- Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
- Drapes and Blinds
- Air Duct & HVAC Cleaning
- Odor Removal
- Sewage & Biohazard Cleanup
- Trauma and Crime Scene Cleanup
- Ceilings, Walls, and Hard Floors
- Vandalism Cleanup
A local business called us in to clean the grime off of laminate floors in a large room, which was also covered in a film of aerosol spray from a contractor. To be able to clean the dirt from the floor, we first had to get through the residue covering the entire floor! But, as you can see in the photo, our crews had no trouble completely cleaning the floor of all residues beyond the owner's expectations. They'll be sure to call us again for any commercial cleaning needs!
We have the expertise and resources to make any dirt, dust, graffiti or grime "Like it never even happened." Call for a free estimate today!
Causes of Water Damage
Water damage can put your home underwater.
What are the causes of water damage? Well, water damage comes in many shapes and sizes; some that are easy to identify and others that are not. Knowing the common causes of water damage can help prevent damage to your home. The earlier you can identify water damage, the less work will have to be done by a water damage restoration company to restore your home.
Causes of Water Damage Include:
Leaking or Burst Pipes
Leaking or burst pipes are common causes of water damage. These issues can come from changes in water pressure, temperature changes, or the deterioration of old pipes. In the winter, uninsulated pipes can also freeze and burst.
These kind of water damage issues can be hard to detect until there is clear water damage on your walls or ceilings since pipes and hoses are usually hidden within walls. Keep an eye out on your water bill and periodically check for leaks under sinks, toilets, and around showers to find possible plumbing issues that can cause water damage.
Old or Worn Household Appliances
Did you know the average washing machine supply hose fails after just 8.7 years, and 75% of water heaters fail within 12 years? The hoses on these appliances should be changed when you can see any sort of wear to prevent them cracking and leaking everywhere in your home. Look out for all of your other appliances which have water hookups as well, like refrigerators with ice makers.
HVAC units are also a common cause of water damage. When not maintained, moisture can build up creating not only water damage, but space for mold and mildew to grow and spread around your home.
Clogs in drain lines or heavy rains can cause sewage to backup into your home through floor drains, toilets, and sinks. This type of water damage should absolutely be handled by water damage specialists to correctly decontaminate, sanitize, and restore rooms affected by sewage water.
Knowing several major causes of water damage in home and businesses can help prevent unmitigated damages to your home. But, if disaster strikes, call SERVPRO of Old Saybrook with any water damage issues.
No job is too big – we have the experience and resources necessary to restore your home to pre-damage conditions
We’re open 24/7 and waiting for your call. 800-734-3213
Fire Damage Restoration Process in Old Saybrook
Fire damage is overwhelming. Call SERVPRO of Old Saybrook when you don't know where to start.
A fire can be devastating for your home or business. The fire may have compromised the structure of the building, soot and smoke damage can effect walls and furniture, and you may face water damage from putting the fire out.
So, where do you start after the flames are out?
Every fire damage event is a little different, and requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same. The steps listed below illustrate our process for the “typical” fire damage emergency.
Step 1: Emergency Contact
The restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will ask questions regarding the fire damage event that will help us respond immediately with the appropriate equipment and resources.
Step 2: Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment
We carefully inspect and test adjoining rooms of your property to determine the extent of the fire, smoke, and soot damage. This step is crucial to developing a plan of action.
Step 3: Immediate Board-Up and Roof-Tarp Service
Fire damage can often compromise windows, walls, and roofs. To maintain security and to protect against further damage, we can board up missing windows and walls and place tarps on damaged roofs.
Step 4: Water Removal and Drying (if water damage is present)
The water removal process begins almost immediately and removes the majority of the water. We then use dehumidifiers and air movers to remove the remaining water and complete the drying process.
Step 5: Removal of Smoke and Soot from All Surfaces
We use specialized equipment and techniques to remove smoke and soot from ceilings, walls, and other surfaces.
Step 6: Cleaning and Sanitizing
We clean, sanitize, and disinfect all of the restorable items and structures that were damaged by the fire. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to restore your belongings to pre-fire condition. We’re also trained to remove odors using industrial air scrubbers and fogging equipment.
Step 7: Restoration
Restoration is the final step—getting your home or business to its pre-fire condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
SERVPRO of Old Saybrook can restore your property back to pre-fire condition. We specialize in fire and water damage remediation and restoration. We’re dedicated to responding immediately when you need help with fire or water damage. This way, we can help lessen the current damage, limit further damage, and reduce restoration costs.
We’re open 24/7, 365 days a year to respond to your call. Don’t wait if you have fire damage, call today.
First Annual SERVPRO of Old Saybrook Coat Drive
In all, we were able to donate 13 boxes of winter coats to local shelters!
This year, SERVPRO of Old Saybrook started its first annual coat drive for homeless shelters in our area!
On our very first year, we exceeded our monetary goal of $500 and we were able to collect over 80 coats. All together, using the monetary donations and the physical donations, we were able to donate 120 coats to local shelters in the Meriden and New Haven, Connecticut area! Donations ranged from children's coats to both men and women's jackets.
The contributions we received this year were absolutely amazing. Thank you to all of our generous donors for contributing to our first annual coat drive!
If you missed out on donating - no worries! We will be sure to get the word out for our second annual coat drive next year.
Winter Storm Damage Preparedness in Old Saybrook
Stay safe and prepared for winter storm damage this winter with SERVPRO's tips!
Winter storms can cause just as much damage to your home as a summer storm. Snow storms can bring freezing temperatures, feet of snow and ice, and high winds. Power can go out and roads may become hazardous. Preparing for a storm is the best way to keep your family and home safe!
Winter Storm Preparations
- Weatherproof / Winterize your home.
- Add extra insulation in your attic, insulate doors & windows, and insulate any water lines along exterior walls so they are less likely to freeze.
- This will help prevent ice dams from forming as well.
- Keep as much heat as possible in your home during a storm.
- Avoid unnecessary opening of doors or windows, close off unneeded rooms, and close curtains on windows at night.
- You don't want your pipes to freeze and burst!
- Organize a back-up heating source if the power goes out.
- Gas or log fireplaces, portable heaters.
- Make sure you have flashlights and batteries handy.
- Using flashlights is a safer option than using candles all around your home.
- Leave all water taps slightly on so they drip continuously.
- This helps prevent frozen pipes or burst pipes.
Call SERVPRO of Old Saybrook if your home sustains any storm damage this winter.
We are available 24/7 for emergency services, and work with your insurance company - so you don't have to!
What is a Puff Back?
Soot from a puff back coming out through a vent in East Lyme.
A puff back is a misfire in your furnace.
The issue is that a puff back can send soot throughout your home through your vents. If you wake up one morning and find soot coming out of your vents and covering your curtains, walls, and furniture – it’s likely that you’re experiencing the consequences of a furnace puff back.
Puff backs can also occur over time without you immediately noticing.
Every time your furnace ignites and misfires, it can send a small amount of soot through your vents which may slowly accumulate in your vents and around your home.
Puff backs can damage your home because
1) The furnace is misfiring, and needs to be serviced
2) Your home may become covered in soot – and you are breathing it in as well!
If you experience a puff back this winter, call SERVPRO of Old Saybrook to clean your home of all soot.
We are open 24/7 for emergency service!