Water Damage From Snow in Deep River, CT
While water damage can occur at any point of the year, the winter season brings with it a new set of challenges.
Luckily, snow water damage in Deep River, CT can often be avoided by taking a few preventative steps. Below, we’ve outlined the top causes for water damage from snow, in addition to how to prevent it in the first place.
Call 24/7 For Snow Water Damage Restoration in Deep River, CT - 860-388-1776
What Causes Snow Water Damage in Deep River, CT?
Snow and ice can lead to water damage in several ways, but the most common causes include:
- Excessive snow melt
- Ice dams
- Leaks from melting snow
- Roof leak after heavy snowfall
- Leaks from clogged gutters
1. Excessive Snow Melt
When temperatures rise after a snowstorm, all of the snow that’s piled up around your property can quickly melt and saturate the ground around your foundation.
Once the ground becomes oversaturated, the water can seep through the concrete and into your basement. This is similar to how basements flood after periods of heavy rain.
2. Ice Dams
When warmer temperatures follow a snowstorm or if your attic is poorly insulated, the snow on your roof can quickly melt and flow to the edge, where it refreezes. Over time, this process creates a large ridge of ice buildup, called an ice dam.
Ice dams can cause water to back up under your shingles and leak into your attic, resulting in roof or ceiling leaks.
3. Leaks From Melting Snow
Melting snow can easily find its way into your home through any cracks or crevices that may be present.
This means that any poorly installed windows or doors can act as entry points for melting snow to slip into your home.
4. Roof Leak After Heavy Snowfall
One cubic foot of snow usually weighs anywhere from about 7 to 20 pounds, which can quickly add up when it accumulates on your roof.
When heavy snow gathers on your roof, it can weaken the structural framing and leave your roof susceptible to leaks or collapse.
5. Leaks From Clogged Gutters
Gutters are responsible for directing water away from your roof and foundation to prevent water damage.
When gutters become clogged with snow, ice, or other debris, they can overflow and push melting snow down the side of your house and into the ground at your foundation.
How To Prevent Water Damage From Melting Snow in Deep River, CT
Homeowners can help protect their property from snow water damage in Deep River, CT in the following ways:
- Use a roof rake after heavy snow - Using a roof rake to remove snow and ice from your roof and gutters can prevent excess buildup.
- Remove snow from the perimeter of your home - Shoveling snow away from your home reduces the amount of melting snow that can oversaturate the ground around your foundation, minimizing the chance of water in your basement.
- Make sure your attic is properly insulated - It’s important to ensure that warm air from your home does not flow into your attic. Keeping your attic insulated and cool prevents the snow on your roof from melting and causing an ice dam. You can also install heat cables to melt away snow and ice that may build up on the edges of your roof.
- Clear your gutters of any debris before and after snowstorms - Keeping your gutters free of debris allows melting snow to flow freely away from your home.
- Get Your Roof Inspected - Call a professional to inspect your roof and complete any necessary repairs before snow and ice have the opportunity to cause more damage.
- Fill any cracks before winter arrives - Make sure any cracks or gaps in the structure of your home are properly filled to prevent melting snow from slipping through.
Need Snow Water Damage Restoration in Deep River, CT?
24/7 Emergency Service
Water Damage Restoration
Complete Restoration Services
Simplified Insurance Process
Whether you’re dealing with a collapsed roof from heavy snow or a leak from clogged gutters, you can trust SERVPRO of Old Saybrook to handle it.
With over 15 years of experience in snow water damage restoration in Deep River, CT, our team has all of the equipment and resources needed to restore your home after any size snow disaster. Our IICRC Certified specialists even provide 24/7 emergency service to begin cleanup immediately to help minimize losses.
When you call SERVPRO of Old Saybrook for help after water damage from melting snow in Deep River, CT, we work hard to make the damage to your home “Like it never even happened.”